I usually write my timelines before I start a new story. Not so with my current work in progress which I have tentatively titled Luck Joy Bride. This is the sixth book in my Eastern Sierra Brides 1884 series. I was writing merrily away until I got in the middle of Chapter 8 and only then realized I really needed to do a timeline.
This story has been a different one to write for several reasons:
- This story I originally wrote as secondary plot in an earlier book in the series. I had several chapters worth already written, then decided it would make the story too long and cumbersome. So, I cut out large sections of what will now be the primary plot in this book. For an earlier post about this decision, CLICK HERE.
- The first several chapters I wrote in Luck Joy Bride flowed into the computer rather smoothly. Then I ran into the portions from my writing of April last year that I had cut out of the story I was working on, Haunted by Love. I had pasted those out-takes into the appropriate spots in this manuscript. Problem is, with this now being the primary plot instead of a secondary plot, some of the focus has changed.
- The other issue I ran into is I have done a lot of research on the real historical incident on which this story is based after I wrote the earlier-mentioned scenes. I not only found newspaper clips with mention of details, but I paid a visit to the Mono County Historical Museum in Bridgeport, CA last September. I dropped over $200.00 for research books. Among them were one or two that had additional information about this incident--much of it written in a folksy retelling format, but still.....
- If that weren't enough, after I decided to write this sixth book in the series, I dropped hints by means of unexplained incidences in both Haunted by Love (only a few) and more so in Bridgeport Holiday Brides. Readers of those stories might wonder why I bothered to include them. However, once they get to this sixth book, it will all come together -- if I get the timing right.
Ah, yes! Resource chapters have been transcribed and the timeline is finished. Back to writing my work in progress.